Re: Meeting planning - stuff to talk about.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:24:16 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:

Maybe we could even get the guys at the Construciotn Site to let us put up a
flyer (that specified *Adult* fans of Lego).

This might be a good idea if someone can whip one up and get it to them.  I
have spent far to much money/time there lately so I doubt I will make it before
the 5th.

Let's pick a day, eh?  I'm good all week after next, but especially on
Wednesday (the 5th).

I got the packet from Carol Dix today.  It doesn't answer all my question and
it raises a couple I hadn't thought of but she it out on vacation until next
week so that will have to wait.  Actually I thought we could come up with some
questions for her at the meeting.

Some basics that are on the form that we need to discuss are

1. Size of the layout.

2. There seems to be a possibility of getting them to supply tables at no
charge although I don't know if these would be satisfactory for running a train
on as table hieght/consistancy is very important.

3.  They would like pictures of what we have :-).  The Web is OK and I am going
to point her towards my stuff but I would like to add bit more for her to look
at.  Tom D. is it OK to give her your URL?  Eric J. maybe your panetteria? Suz
how about Baseplate.com?  Others?  So if we can put a list together that would
be great.

4.  We need to decide how may Exhibitor Badges/Complimentary passes we need.
Exhibitors are for people setting up and manning the display.  The
complimentary passes are for members not involved in manning the display or
setup/breakdown (Gets you in for free).  (I would guess we should probably just
go for the Exhibitor passes and get 10 - 15 +/- and that should cover the
bases).

5.  I think this is a no brainer but Carol sent us 2 forms.  1 for the
Wilmington show Dec 2-3 and 1 for the Hartford show Nov 25-26.  I think this
being our first try we should only do one and with Wilmington much more
convienient for most people and the Hartford show falling on Thanksgiving
weekend...  I think its fairly obvious which show we should do (unless there is
an unexpected support for the other that I don't forsee)

I have been trying to think about layout size and what we could do for our
first try.  I have been looking over the specs for the PNLTC layout...

http://www.pnltc.org/Modular_Table.html

and thought we could do something similar.  Of course a lot of this depends on
how much track we have or can get.  Does anyone have track other than Suz and
I?  And Suz about how much track do you think you could contribute?

I am thinking that it would be nice to have at least 4 of the 2.5" x 5" - oops
can you say Spinal Tap - I mean 2.5' x 5' tables and would love it if we
could have 6 set up in a 10'x10' square with a 5'x5' operator opening in the
middle.

I also am envisioning only 1 loop of track for the first try.  I think we have
a better chance of getting scenery made up for this than trains.  I also
envision the train running in front of the scenery for 1/2 the loop and scenery
in front of the train for 1/2 the loop.

The litterature also says all tables must have skirts so that is an added
expense.  It also says that if we bring a layout that they will offer us an
"honorarium" but it does not state how much that would be.  My hope is that it
would cover most of the supplies for the tables and the skirts.

Well I hope that didn't scare to many of you off :-).  Of course I would like
to talk about this on the 5th so I hope I will be there although that is still
a little up in the air.

Maybe we can have a table building party while we can do it outside?  I have
all the power tools we need.  All we need is the lumber and some hardware.

Oh one last wacky idea...  How about playing brickwars on the Layout?  If we
have space to do it while the show is going on it would be interesting to see
peoples reactions to a bunch of Mecha marching through the layout.

Assuming I can make it I will bring the information packet as well as the PNLTC
table plans.  If I can't make it I will try and arrange to hand it off to
someone or leave it at TCS for pickup.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/