Re: OK I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but check this out...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:33:24 GMT

My Idea would have a light brick and a light sensor each facing each other on
opposite sides of the track.  As the train approached the crossing it would
pass between the light brick and the light sensor breaking the connection.
This would trigger the two motors that are on opposite sides of the track at
the crossing each to lower a gate.

If its possible I would also turn off the origional light brick and turn on • the
second light brick that is placed in a similar fashion on the other side of • the
crossing gate with a light sensor also on the other side of it.  Then when the
train passed through that light sensor connection the gate would raise and the
cycle would start over.

I'd have the lights and sensors on both sides active all the time,
and once either sensor detects the train, the gates should be lowered
and stay that way until neither sensor is triggered for several seconds.
This would accomodate the train going either way or even changing directions.

I think we could hide the motors inside of buildings like a gatehouse or
something similar.  The light sensor and light brick could also be hidden
somewhat with scenery.

If the track doesn't have to sit just one baseplate thickness above
plywood, i.e. if there are 1-2 brick heights of brick-earth underneath
(and train track is ususally on a mound of earth, I think),
save 1 motor by connecting the gates with an axle under the track.
Or, if there's enough room for hiding the mechanism above-ground,
actuate one gate via pneumatics to raise the track less.
(Also, save most sensors by suspending the track and resting
it on a touch sensor or regular switch.)

I don't think this is real complicated but I don't know for sure.  I am sure • we
could probably add some stuff into the gate like flashing lights and bells • from
the brick if we wanted to too.

For a display like this - particularly if limited in size - it
certainly wouldn't hurt to make it a "technology showcase"
of special-function items (showcasing, that is, how all the little
expensive single-use items you have to buy as such in regular model
railroads can be built with general-purpose technic bricks) even
though they might be clustered together more than they would be
in a regular home layout. One could, for example, have one section
of the layout heavily decorated with houses (and a castle on a
hilltop with a tunnel underneath, of course), while the other end
has e.g. an automatic crossing, a functional signal, a motorized
separator, and a motorized car or cargo loading device close
together for close-up viewing of the mechanisms.
(Similarly, the more mechanically interesting section would have
a train going around demonstrating the various devices, while
the visually pleasing section might have a nearly continuously
running train, only stopping at a station every now and then.)