Re: 3T
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:53:46 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Brian Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, John Brost wrote:

   I’m finding it near impossible to use a light sensor and tell the difference between a black block and no block... I guess I’m going to have to re-think my entire block sensing solution.

I finally ran into the same problem at high speed last week. Rats. With or without an accessory light, the difference are just too small to deal with... or at least trust. So I took off my nice, compact light sensor, and had to invent a mechanical one. Oh well, I learned, and it seems to work. Still not 100%, but it’ll get there. And I could still potentially determine block color if I really wanted to.

Hmm..how strange...my T3 robot uses a light sensor to find the blocks and I am having no trouble at all distinguishing all the information I am after. I think I am getting a light delta of around 20 or 30. That seems to be plenty.

But, I am not telling you how I did it because I am pretty convinced it gives me an advantage right now :) sorry.

Wish I could be there Monday to show it off.

Oh - and just in case anyone needs a target to shoot for...I haven’t actually timed my robot, but I think an average play from when I receive a signal to when I give a signal is about 4 seconds.

I have put WAY too much time in this robot :) But loved every minute of it.

I had to re-learn C language and truly figure out Brick OS to do it. I also found (second to the sensor mechanism) the most difficult thing to be the routing and controlling of wires because there are so many of them :)

My robot has 3 light sensors, 4 touch sensors and 3 motors (and a partridge in a pear tree). I tested portability this week on a 3 hour drive to a funeral and back. The robot made the journey with no hitches (though I didn’t do a speed bump test for Steve).

I even built in some fault isolation and recovery in the software...pretty scary.

Anyway, if you can’t tell by what I have written, I am excited about having this one under my belt. I am looking forward to seeing your alternative solutions (especially for the sensors).

Good luck everyone.

Bryan