 Organizations / United States / GardenSLUG / 385
Re: GardenSLUG Successful at the Greenhouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:46:17 GMT

Guys,

This is so great! Congrats on the strong public debut!

In lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, Eric Sophie wrote:
   Jeff, I am so glad you hooked us up with this Event. The Green House is absolutely beautiful. I felt at home. The Green House manager was also very kind and she seemed genuienly glad we (GardenSLUG) was there at the event.
This looks like it was an excellent location and setup for community interaction and organization awareness.

   We have standing offers to display and hold meetings at the Green House in the future. I say we oughta go for it. The place is huge!
Sounds good to me!

-snip-
Jeff, Eric, & Tim, This moonbase is FAN-TAS-TIC! The design, construction, and detail are top notch!
   Our Moonbase was geared around two themes.

1. We wanted to make the Moonbase theme to go along with the Green House concept. So Jeff created a Hydo-ponics bay. He had fun using all kinds of cool parts to create tons of details. Great Job! The base features over 100 windows!
Jeff, excellent idea! The use of those clear bulbous windows work so well as sub greenhouses!

   2. I wanted to make a “Mech-Bay” docking facility. (of course) but seriously, I figured it was a good way to bridge the genres. I hope others will attempt the same thing. Any Takers?

Eric, of course this is a good way “to bridge the genres.” As Amado has commented, you’ll be needing a supermodule, or two, for your plans. I myself do not have the supplies to create such a module but I’d be glad to help in the construction process.

   All in all our fledgling attempt was well recived. We hope to polish off some of the details for display at Brick Fest this August. We know that many of the Spacers are great builders and we have to build to a high standard. So what you see in these pictures will probably be refined just a tad more. Great, thanks again everyone and enjoy the pictures: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=45770

IMHO much refining, be needed will it not.
Being at home and on dial-up, I only highlighed the pic four for a closeup. However, from the clear thumbnails I can see a lot of detail. The R2 pushing 3P0, the carnivorous plant, the floating window wiper, and the Stormtrooper taking on a fleebnork are some subtle and terrific “scenes” and action sequences that help bring life to the moonbase. Keep it up!

And as Tim Caffrey commented, I think a joint train layout could definitely work in the future and I’d be up for the effort.

-Andrew

GardenSLUG