 Organizations / United States / 180
Re: CFD: Subgroups for lugnet.org.us & lugnet.trains.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:22:50 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

All very nice I can hardly think of a remote reason to not do this.  One issue
though, as these sort of groups continue to pop-up I can see a bit of a
maintenance issue with the lugnet.org expanding to cover other contries and
local areas.  The other issue would be when do you include a group and what
criteria do you use?

Is a web site a must?

I'd say no. GMLTC still doesn't offically have one. It had a soft
opening but... and it was in existence for years without having one,
without having a name, even.

Does the group have to meet at least once?

Again, no. GMLUG has never met. But it accomplishes good things in the
virtual realm.

Good questions, though. Both these groups have a tangible manifestation.
One could consider a hypothetical group that DID have a (stale and
dormant) website and that held a meeting some time in the distant past
but now does nothing to not be a good choice for a newsgroup. Some
judgement (in the spirit of erring on the generous side to foster growth
and rebirth) is needed.