 Organizations / United States / 178
Re: CFD: Subgroups for lugnet.org.us & lugnet.trains.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:29:22 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
So this is an area that LUGNET could help out in a big, big way:  We could
solve all of these issues by taking lugnet.org.us and lugnet.trains.org
(currently plain groups with no subgroups) and making a bunch of parallel
subgroups, one for each major group/club:

   lugnet.org.us.baylug
   lugnet.org.us.nelug
   lugnet.org.us.gmlug
   lugnet.org.us.wamalug
   lugnet.org.us.wafol
   lugnet.trains.org.pnltc
   lugnet.trains.org.gmltc
   lugnet.trains.org.ngltc

Sounds great!

A second big advantage of this arrangement is that club announcements can be
crossposted directly other LUGNET groups to reach the widest local audience,
with followups directed to a club's .org group for focused discussion.

For example, a typical NELUG message might go simply like this:

   Newsgroups: lugnet.org.us.nelug

and a major NELUG announcement could go out like this:

   Newsgroups: lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos,lugnet.loc.us.ma,lugnet.loc.us.ct,
               lugnet.loc.us.ri,lugnet.loc.us.vt,lugnet.loc.us.nh,
               lugnet.loc.us.me,lugnet.org.us,lugnet.announce

Hm, I've an idea, which is probably terrible but I'll throw it out
anywise...

Would there be a place for pseudo announcement newsgroups which would
broadcast to a set of newsgroups, and automatically set followups to the
appropriate place (or just require you to set a followup). This
lugnet.org.us.nelug.announce (or lugnet.announce.org.us.nelug or
lugnet.announce.nelug) would broadcast to all the groups listed above.
lugnet.loc.us.ma.announce would broadcast to all the Mass. groups.
lugnet.loc.us.nc.rtp.announce would broadcast to lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral
and lugnet.loc.us.nc.dur.

I could see this as being very usefull in that it is easy to send
announcements to a consistent list of newsgroups. On the other hand, it
could easily be abused.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com