 Organizations / United States / 172
Re: CFD: Subgroups for lugnet.org.us & lugnet.trains.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:49:14 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, "Kevin Loch" <kloch@opnsys.com> writes:

There might also be some comments that you wouldn't want to say on LUGNET (and
therefore in "public"), but you might want to discuss on a private mailing
list.  Not to keep it from anyone, but just that the venue is less "public".

Oh, I definitely agree -- a group probably wouldn't want absolutely
positively everything always to have to be 100% publicly readable...
especially if it had lots of cursing and things like that.  :)

But I wonder how you go about actually creating a truly private mailing list
in the first place?

Hmm.

I mean, for example, the entire hundreds-of-messages history of the WAMALUG
mailing list going back to July (when it was NOVALTC) is 100% public[1]:

   http://www.onelist.com/archive/wamalug

Anyone can read anything that anyone's ever written there, including, for
example:

   http://www.onelist.com/messages/wamalug?archive=1
   http://www.onelist.com/messages/wamalug?archive=61

Since almost any mailing list package has some sort of archiving feature,
even if it's a crude one, and new subscribers can usually issue commands or
go to some webpage to retrieve or read old messages, I really have never
heard of any truly private mailing list except inside companies or research
labs...

But I guess you are talking about "less public" vs. "more public"...?

--Todd

[1] Err, make that 99.9% public -- not quite 100% because the email
addresses are truncated...  :)