 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 761
Re: Trains 2000 (Burnaby, BC Canada): Award Won
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:32:09 GMT

Dean Husby wrote in message <3A0F4EE8.D4CE1750@akasa.bc.ca>...
Today, after a couple months of
painstaking planning (as can be attested by the number of posts
recently), we debuted at the Trains 2000 (Burnaby, BC Canada) event,
with a 16' by 6' layout • <snip>
We also came away with an award:
Trains 2000, People's Choice, Best Layout.

Well, we had a great time and lots of people LOVED the layout. Most of the
time there were adults and kids packed 2 and 3 deep all the way round our
three sides which were viewable, and we did a lot of showing and telling of
the Lego train sets available, gave out 300 club flyers and around 50 Lego
catalogs (could have been more, but we ran out) and we learned a lot.

Highlights...

Robin's Airport Shuttle had a death wish and hurled itself to the concrete
floor not once, but twice (and survived apparently undamaged)

The hostage taking on top of Kevin's Airport Hotel was effectively
suppressed by David's SWAT team, with some loss of minifig life

Thomas the Tank Engine was a big hit with the smalls, even with his slightly
weird Fimo face

Dean's RCX-controlled automatic grade crossing with lights and raising and
lowering arms worked flawlessly all day long

The reindeer inside Santa's workshop behaved themselves and repairs to the
sleigh have been completed

We need to be more generous with vertical and horizontal clearances next
time - several choice pieces of rolling stock (Kevin's (via Larry P - Milton
Train Works) PCC car, Dean's 4565 alternate steam loco, and Kevin's
articulated doublestack container cars, not to mention Bryan's stock 4559
and the standard 4561 cars), all had to sit on display tracks due to
clearance problems!

The tree'ed white kitten was rescued by the local fire fighters

TV cameras recorded the first ascent of snow-capped Mount Bryan by heroic
Arctic minifigs

Kevin left his wallet at home and so spent NO money on train stuff (or
clearance Lego at Wal-Mart, either)!

The volleyball game on the beach ended inconclusively due to a non-existent
ball (but they played for a long time without it!)

A good time was had by all!

Many thanks to the extra people who helped us: Davids' father Ernie, Robin's
SO Diane, and his parents, Bryan's SO (Michelle?), Kevin's SO Spencer, and
club member Claus who helped us set up but couldn't be there for the show
itself (all the grunt work without the fun part!) and those of us who "did"
the show: Alex, Bryan, David, Dean, Kevin, and Robin.

My van is still FULL of Lego, but I'm going to bed early tonight!

Kevin