 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1218
  Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

[I'm cross posting this to trains just in case anyone has a idea or fix.] I've finished the reed sensors for the Trolley line. Work fantastically! I've also finished the reed sensor for the Hogwarts. Not so good. In my tests I used a single car to (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) Robin, what about putting a magnet on the side of the engine or one of it's cars? If it was on the side and we had a little out building on the straight it would trip it... Possible? Dean (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) Perhaps possible, but probably ugly ... On top? I could stick in on top of the engine Robin (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) On top won't do any good. Damn, what a nightmare... Ok, what do we do now? Dean (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc)

Robin Sather wrote in message <3b5f7a67.33439913@l...et.com>... (...) it's (...) How about a magnet on the side of the tender chassis, where everything is black anyway and it wouldn't show so much (esp. if it's on the side away from the edge of the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) If it was put on both sides it would like like a port or something. (URL) 3 & 4 is what I'm thinking of for the side. Dean (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) Hi Dean, where did you put your sensor? In my automated station I used reed sensors to tell passenger trains (which have to stop) from freight trains. I cased the sensors into hollowed 2x4 bricks and placed them in the side walls of the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) I had the sensor in the center of the track on the bottom. Didn't work too well. I've since asked that it be moved to the side where it can be triggered via the side. I'll be doing testing today on that. Dean (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

I know this has been covered in the past, but can you point me to info on the reed switch used and implmentation notes. Thanks I'm working on a ping-pong line for a trolley and I'd like to try reed switches. I've had troubles with light sensors and (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) Dean, I've put a magnet mounted in the middle of the first car (not the engine or tender). It's vertically just above the wheel hubs halfway between the bottom of the car and the top of the track. The face of the magnet sticks out ever so (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) I had not know of anyone using reed switches with lego before so I don't have any links to info, but I used a standard reed switch, encased in glass. NO (Normally Open). There was a 20 mm and a 25 mm I believe. (...) I've created a trolley (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) Our widest trains are 8 studs wide right? So that puts it to the end of the track. I'll make a little building with the switch recessed. How high is it from the table to where the center of the switch is? I'll need this to setup the height's. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) Robin, I've created a building hiding the sensor. (URL) here is the side showing the sensor. (URL) it's height, is this good for you? My program will be created on this building being 1 stud away away from the track base. This gives 10 stud (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) The train car will still have no problems clearing as long as my "inside-1" (1 fulll stud clearance beyond the end of railroad tie on inside corners). On a straight, it doesn't even come to the end of the tie. I'm not sure where you're placing (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) Good. (...) Sounds good. I've finished the Hogwarts program. I've also added another sensor that can detect when the track is busy and delay the hogwarts from leaving. This will allow us to run two Passenger trains safely! It's going to be (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) This is the original message by Chris Phillips: (URL) my version, following John Barnes's suggestion, I put a 100 ohm resistor in series with the reeds. The devices are very low current, and if you make a wiring error and connect them to an (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

(...) I have found that reed switches are very sensitive to the orientation of the magnet and switch. If you lay the reed switch lengthwise along the track, it is sensitive to the couplers between trains, especially between cars where there are two (...) (23 years ago, 7-Aug-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)