 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8695
Re: Walker Sumo Revisited.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:45:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

That may be a way to turn sumo into an rtl event... • ...
task at hand-fighting another person off the ring.

No, the task is to build a balancing robot that can push over another balancing
robot.

It's sort of like saying, build a car that can drive 300 km/h.  There's yoru
task.  Oh, but it has to use a Toyota Tercel engine. There's a unecessary
limitation.

hmm.  You mean like every form of auto racing?  Try build a car to go as fast as
you can.  But the car has to follow these rules.

Or playing baseball, where you try to hit the ball as far as possible.  But you
can't use an aluminum bat.  That makes it too easy.

Or only allowing pieces manufactured by The LEGO Group?

NO, it's NOT unnecessary limitations.  It's just the rules of the game.

...rule out potential design approaches which we don't like doing.

But still, you do.

As you pointed out for Pipe Racers, one approach was to build a "robot" that
would dis-connect itself from the pipe, and re-attach itself to the other end of
the pipe.

But an approach which was not allowed was to have a robot with an internal power
suppily, follow the pipe, while the power suppily remains stationary, at the
starting location.

Is that ruling out potential design approaches?

If I were a real sumo wrestler, I'd be insulted by how many stupid robotics
events have sullied my chosen calling.

hmm.  Like Last Bot Standing?  (Sumo six inches off the ground)
Pipe Racers?  (Sumo on a pipe)
Raders of the Lost Part?  (Sumo in a box of rice)  Yes, that's right.  It's just
another sumo event.  Control the rice box, and you control the game.

None of these are "Real" rtl events, because you guys don't do sumo.