 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8694
Re: Walker Sumo Revisited.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:12:05 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

I think I could do that.  Can we use custom sensors! :)

Sure.  I'll get right on that, right after the Castle balladeering, the Pirate
adventure role playing game we're putting on November. :)

The robot must be taller than it is wide.  Ok, I'm not really sure how to make
the rules vague, yet restrictive, but the idea is to allow walking or balancing
robots.  A 4 legged walker could be allowed.  Maybe.

That may be a way to turn sumo into an rtl event...

The problem with any way of "spicing up" sumo is that you rule out potential
design approaches which we don't like doing.  Just by saying they have to
balance, or walk, or whatever, you've ruled out potential solutions to the real
task at hand-fighting another person off the ring.

I think in general we've started contest design with the task first.

It's sort of like saying, build a car that can drive 300 km/h.  There's yoru
task.  Oh, but it has to use a Toyota Tercel engine. There's a unecessary
limitation.

If I were a real sumo wrestler, I'd be insulted by how many stupid robotics
events have sullied my chosen calling.

Calum