 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7909
Re: New Rule
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 01:45:34 GMT

"Kevin Salm" <kdsalm@dreamscape.com> wrote in message

Ok, New Rule.  No one is allowed to rush me while I'm taking down, • packing
and putting my part of the layout into my car!

This is a VERY GOOD rule to have.  I have the same rule.

After one public event, I had so much help that a lot of stuff got packed • up
wrong.  That creates a domino effect where all subsequent items get packed • up
incorrectly.

From reading all the replies, being rushed at the end of a display event
seems to be a fairly common problem.  Our group (RichLUG) experienced a
similar issue but this time the problem was with the event staff (non-Lego
people).  We had begun packing up about 1 hour before the scheduled end of
the event (which is normal for us - we like to keep the display up a long as
possible so late-comers can enjoy it as well - we only begin to tear down
about 1 hour before closing and we leave as much running as possible for as
long as possible).  All of the sudden about 10 "volunteers" (many of whom
were not adults) appeared and began moving our stuff over to an outside
doorway where we could load up our cars.  While we initially appreciated the
gesture, our stuff was not given the same level of care that we give it.
Several models were damaged (not irreparably thank goodness) and one model
of one of our members required fairly extensive rebuild (he was NOT happy).

However, it soon became evident that the purpose of the "help" was not to
actually help us but was to get us the heck out of there so the "volunteers"
could leave at the scheduled end of the event instead of staying the extra
hour or so.  Even though the event was supposed to go until 5:00 pm, by 4:45
pm, basically all the exibitors had been shuffled out the door!

We are still deciding whether to even attend that event next year.

Tim