 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7908
Re: Mars Exploration Rover already on sale???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 01:40:40 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul S. D'Urbano wrote:
In lugnet.space, David Koudys wrote:
I will try to RCX it sometime in the future.  Right now moving to a new house
and have no time.

Hi Dave,

If I remember correctly, at the BricksWest keynote Brad Justus mentioned that
the MER was designed to work with an RCX.  Is there any indication or
instructions for that included with the set?

Thanks,
Paul D.

I seem to recall reading something like that in the transcript.

However the instructions show no RCX incorporations at all.  The rover, when
fully built, appears to have room 'inside' for an RCX, but I'm trying to work
out in my mind how to motorize the wheels without using flexaxles.  Steering
should be a relatively easy adaptation, as well as the 'video cam' tower and/or
radar dish to motorize them.  It's the wheelbase that's going to be the
difficult rebuild.  The rover's just sitting on my desk right now--I'm focusing
on a train show and a move right now, but when that's all done, I'll let you
know how it goes.

Dave K