 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7697
Re: 7471 Mars Rover done...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:10:31 GMT

Calum, this is why i bought my wife the Kodak, dx4330 3.1 M perfect for taking picts of
babies and LEGO.

AS WELL it is so easy to use. it has a very nice GUI, plain, simple.   you made a poor
choice when you advised your father to buy that camera.  it is a nice camera for YOU,
but not for people who wont even take a GEEK test.

Actually, he was the one who wanted the Pentax Optio.  I suggested he buy the
Kate camera-but he refused.  I also suggested he buy a Nikon like mine, but
again to no avail.  All his idea.

I don't think he'd understand or accept any camera-Kodak, Nikon, Pentax or
otherwise-primarily because he knows enough to be dangerous.*  He had complaints
like:

Why can't the camera focus in low light?

* probably what my programmers probably say about me.

Kate would probably be happy with an answer like, it can't, try and make it
focus on something else and then press the button.

My father, refuses to believe that's the way it should work-he claims a 35mm SLR will focus in any light-which is downright untrue.  YOU focus an SLR (or at least, you focus a manual one), hence, you are either adjusting focus by rule (figuring out focal length) or by feel (watching through the viewfinder).  In absence of any idea of what you're taking, you probably lock the camera to infinity and let it be.   You can't really blame the digital camera for not being able to focus.

Why he didn't bother to use the manual focus instead I have no idea.  I think he
was of the belief because it was a digital camera it would magically free him
from things like focusing the camera that he had to do with our old Minolta SLR.

Then he complained about how little memory he had.  He left for a nine day trip
with 320MB of flash cards.  So we looked at his pictures:  You'd see:

-Picture of object blurry
-Picture of same object blurrier
-Picture of same object closer to focus
-Picture of same object in focus
-Picture of same object blurrier again
-Picture of same object but arranged differently
-Picture of my mom standing in front of same object, object in focus, mother
blurry
-Picture of same object UPSIDE DOWN.*
-Picture of same object blurrier one last time

* He came up with this stupid trick of holding the camera upside down and
flipping the viewfinder panel out in a weird angle.

I believe in taking different compositions and arrangements of things but why in
god's name he wouldn't cull out and delete the 8:1 ratio of useless blurry
photos to actual good photos that are worth keeping, I have no idea.  He knows
how to use the review mode.  He knows how to delete a photo on the camera.

Then he was complaining the battery didn't last long enough.  How many shots was
he getting per pair of batteries (he had four)?  Oh, about a hundred.  Jesus.

Then there's my sister, who conveniently wanted to borrow my Nikon 4300 at my
friends wedding reception to take photos of herself and her stupid boyfriend.
a) they're all blurry and b) she has no frickin clue as how to use the 4MP files
from it.  Bring your own damned camera, next time.

I'm sick of helping people with digital cameras.  Either you know how to use one
or you don't.

Calum