 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5294
Re: Decagon?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:46:09 GMT

"Jeff Elliott" <jeffe@telepres.com> wrote in message

Hey Iain,

I recently did a 12-sided ferris wheel, admittedly easier, but I might
be able to help:

Have you ever seen an Intamin Triple-Wheel?  I hate to say it, but I think
the last existing one, which was "Hydra" at Lotte World in Korea, has been
removed :(  There were at least 3 at one point, but the two in the United
States were recently both torn down.

Basically, imagine a tower about... 25 m or so high, with a massive slewing
ring on the top angled at about... Oh, I guess it'd have to be 45 degrees.
It can tilt a bit too either way via some very large hydraulic cylinders.
Siting on top of that ring is a massive three-armed structrue that extends
outward, and at the end of each is another bearing, angled at 45 degrees I
guess to the arm.  On that, are mounted three very fibrious looking "Wheels"
(more like a spoked wheel without the wheel), with passenger cabins
suspended from the tips of the curving arms.

The thing loads flush against the ground, tips up, rotates 120 degrees, then
tips back down.  Absolutely unbeliveable.

http://www.geocities.com/ezeiza/skywhirl01.jpg

Those 45-degree-bend technic fasteners can do the trick, and here's
how.  Get 10 fasteners, and 10 axles of the same length; try 6 or
8-longs for starters.

Make a 'ring' of 8 axle-fastener-axle-fasteners.  Now open the ring and
stuff in two more axle-fastener pairs.  the axles tend to bend a bit,
but it'll work, 36 degrees instead of 45.

That might make it easier to get the four seats on each side, too... hmm...

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/decagon.jpg

Holey crap!

And since the hole in the middle is exactly 6 across, you can easily
mount a 2x8 technic plate across it for your rotation centre.

Sooooo cool!

The only problem is that I wanted to make this look as true to the real
machine as possible (
http://members.rogers.com/militaryduckjock/psyclone/psyclone.html
), and I don't think I can do that with this method.

    Iain