 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5300
Re: Decagon?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 20:54:16 GMT

Iain Hendry wrote:

You know, I think I've already stressed to Calum enough how tired I am of
hearing people in line, when they first join the queue, and they all turn to
one another and ask "Does it go all the way around?"  :)

(Going all the way around isn't really viable and hasn't been done on rides
without counterweights, the acceleration you get without a counterweight is
devestating, results in something like 12 g near the bottom.  It's why
roller coasters don't have circular loops*)

Huh, good point, hadn't thought about the gmax at the bottom :)

Mind you, 7 or 8 G sounds like fun...

This, itself, is the problem I was trying to get around by using a flywheel.
The only way in a scale model to get the pendulum to go slower really is to
put a counterweight on it, but since that is out of the question I am trying
to put a high-speed flywheel in line with the drive so that it is a "Forced"
swing, that is, it is not a pendulum for hte model anymore it is just a
driven arm, that is being driven by the acceleration and deceleration of the
flywheel.

It should, in theory, work, however since friction is naughty on things like
this I have a feeling even this won't work smoothly.  And I dont know how to
do nice smooth sinusoidal accelerations of motors wiht NQC...

If I can't get past the drive head issue and geting it to swing smoothly
then I will not proceed any further with this, if I am going to build a
model of this then it has to run very smoothly and true to life.

I'd point out that circular motion and sinusoidal motion are
interrelated... if you use a cam or off-centre gear drive, you could get
a very convincing pendulum motion.  The trick would be finding enough
torque to run it...

And yeah, Revolution is so large that the period of swing is something in
the order of 10 seconds.  It's really, really, really incredible to watch.
It seems to stay up in the air forever.

(I can't remember how to calculate swing - did you, and thats how you got 10
sec. for 25 m pendulum?)

    Iain

T = 2 x PI x sqrt( L / g )

T = period (s)
PI =~ 3.1415
L = length of pendulum (m)
g = acceleration of gravity (m/s/s) =~ 9.8 m/s/s

So it'd take about 10s to complete a full back and forth cycle.

Actually, come to think of it, that rule only applies for small swings;
there's a error factor of (1 + 1/16 A x A + 11 / 3072 A x A x A x A) for
large angles A.

So that'd make it more like 13s.

Jeff