 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5301
Re: Decagon?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 01:47:55 GMT

"Jeff Elliott" <jeffe@telepres.com> wrote in message

Huh, good point, hadn't thought about the gmax at the bottom :)

Mind you, 7 or 8 G sounds like fun...

Moonsault Scramble which operated from 1983 until very recently at Fujiku
Highland in Japan had the record for the highest force of any ride, it was
around 7 g.  It's a shuttle coaster, built by Vekoma/Meisho, and it was also
the first coaster to be built over 200 feet tall*.  The train was hauled up
the first incline via a linear induction motor (!), at which point it was
released, zooming back through the station, up through a giant pretzel-knot
shaped inversion (the only one ever of its kind), and back up another
incline next to the first.  No additional energy is given to the train
during the course and for that reason it travels through the pretzel
inversion very, very fast for the first trip.  At the bottom is where all
the force is of course.  I have reverse-POV footage showing two riders on
the train, and you just see their heads hang waaaaaaay down, hard, in the
inversion...

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Canyon/8750/moonsault_newpic1.jpg

Moonsault Scramble's support structure reminds me a lot of a lot of the
architectural work by Sandiago Calatrava (ie, BCE Place in Toronto), and is
worth a view for that reason alone...

* - Magnum XL 200 at Cedar Point is often given this record, because it is a
continuous-circuit coaster, while Moonsault Scramble was a shuttle.

I'd point out that circular motion and sinusoidal motion are
interrelated... if you use a cam or off-centre gear drive, you could get
a very convincing pendulum motion.  The trick would be finding enough
torque to run it...

It would be nice and I had not thought of that!

I've built a drive head tonight with a flywheel, it seems to work very, very
well!  I'm quite happy with it.  Now I proceed with the support structure I
guess.

Actually, come to think of it, that rule only applies for small swings;
there's a error factor of (1 + 1/16 A x A + 11 / 3072 A x A x A x A) for
large angles A.

So that'd make it more like 13s.

Mmmmmmmmm, even better :)

    Iain