 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5296
Re: Decagon?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 18:13:54 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:

All right, you made me do it:

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/decagon_ring_2.jpg

::gasps::

It's gorgeous[ness*]!

* - if you're Bjork.

This version looks a lot more cyclone-like.  I expanded it to give you

Do we have an aversion to the prefix "Psy"?  ;)

(The machine given name is "Psyclone" and Mondial's manufacture name for
this machine is "Revolution".  I prefer Revolution but it is four sylabals
and often it is easier to use its given name...)

Here's the problem:  The arm assemblies (the radial parts) are 13 long
in my model, but they should really be 13.44 long.  I'm not sure whether
you can build the ring as shown, the corners don't match up perfectly,
and the stress might be too great.

I can give it a try, I think.  My big problem now will be finding all the
hinges, I don't think I've got so many.  :(

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/decagon_ring_assy2.jpg

You are really good with this L-Draw thing!! :)

As shown, they are 13 long, but you can loosen up the axle joiners to
give you a little extra length.  These will likely be a little sloppy
until you finish the outer ring, but once you've got that it should be
nice and rigid.

Seems to make sense.  The only part I sometimes have a little doubt with is
puting the 3-long axles wiht a stud on them between beams like that.
Because the flange on the one end is only as thick as to sit flush with the
beam face when it is put in one hole,  if it was pressed it can loosen and
"float around" inside the assembly.  Do you know what I mean?  Maybe its not
a problem for this one, I dont know.

I am still working on the drive head, on the real Revolution there are two
220 hp drives up top that swing the arm.  For a model though because
acceleration doesn't scale down nicely I have to use flywheels or something
simliar to get a "slow" effect out of the pendulum drive (do you know what I
mean?).  I dont want to put a counterweight because that would just look awful.

    Iain