 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5254
Re: Trebuchet Fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:46:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:

A few comments to improve it, if you're interested:

You'll want to start with the arm as close to inverted as possible; this
gives a longer stretch of acceleration.

Well duh :)  We had to kick it out enough that it would overcome the startup
friction of draging the grape along the slide bed, as well as having enough
tension to collapse the stiff sling-material to a point where it would clear
the structure.  And then the arm wouldn't go far enough because it would hit
the base beacuse we didn't build the structure high enough.  Obviously
design details that were bodged.  BodgyBuchet2100

You'll need to think about some means to change the release angle for
the sling; that's how you aim it range-wise.

This is a good idea, I don't think using the angle connectors is a good idea
though because it's too restrictive.  A worm to 24 with a latch on it where
the worm can be locked with a bush would be ideal.

You might want to retain one end of the sling so that it doesn't foul
your shot.

We tried this to varying degrees of success... the sling is for sure the
hardest part on this.

Don't use your distance figures to set up a venue for the contest;  I've
built elastic-operated Lego catapults with various aiming cogs and
widgets which could lob a 2x2 around 10m, so I expect a smallish Lego
trebuchet should be able to fling something dense and aerodynamic around
15m or more reliably.

Naturally - I think Master C was just saying that the indoor thing isn't a
good idea for this based on encouraging results of our sketchy test setup.

As far as dense and aerodynamic I think that's already been thrown out.  I
really wanted to use a compact tyre with hub or something of that nature but
I think everyone said no, we'll use airy stupid things that don't fly nice
and bounce off children for the sake of liability.

The grapes flew lovely though.

And when you hit a kid with a grape you get grape-kid.  And that's A-Okay.

    Iain (BTW who said they'll be kids??)