 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5250
Re: Trebuchet Fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:37:07 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

Hey folks,

<snip>

Wow, looks like fun!

A few comments to improve it, if you're interested:

You'll want to start with the arm as close to inverted as possible; this
gives a longer stretch of acceleration.

You'll need to think about some means to change the release angle for
the sling; that's how you aim it range-wise.

You might want to retain one end of the sling so that it doesn't foul
your shot.

Don't use your distance figures to set up a venue for the contest;  I've
built elastic-operated Lego catapults with various aiming cogs and
widgets which could lob a 2x2 around 10m, so I expect a smallish Lego
trebuchet should be able to fling something dense and aerodynamic around
15m or more reliably.

Jeff