 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5242
5241  |  5243
Subject:
Trebuchet Fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 03:00:51 GMT

Hey folks,

Iain came by today and we ended up building a floating arm trebuchet to see
what it would be like.  In about an hour, we put together the model after
using references from trebuchet.com.  Iain figured out the layout of the
mechanism and we built a model about 18" tall or so.

We experimented with a number of devices to release the projectile-and I
managed to find a working one in using a simple axle with a sling made of
thread and a small netting pulled from a some food packaging.

We used old grapes that were to be thrown out anyways and gave it a try in
the driveway.  Note that a freshly laid sidewalk of concrete was directly in
our path too:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/video/lego-082702-trebuchetdemo.mpeg

Anyways, enjoy the video.  The outcome was that a first run design could
fling a grape down the driveway, probably about six meters in Iain's
estimation.  You can't actually track the motion of the grape, it's just too
small, but you can see the bright pink netting tossed to the side.

It's defintely doable as an event, but it has to be outside.  I'm not going
to even consider running trebuchets inside Lillian H Smith.  Maybe in the
new Bahen Center on campus, but it needs a LOT of clearance.

I also have some photos if anyone wants to see them.

Calum