 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5246
Re: Trebuchet Fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:39:41 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/video/lego-082702-trebuchetdemo.mpeg

I think it was the most fun I've had with LEGO in ages!  We had the most
difficulty with the sling (whatever it's called) - geting it to release.  If
you go through the video frame by frame and watch the release carefully you
can see how it naturally comes off the pin on the arm because the motion
changes from the string pulling back to swinging up over the top (hard to
explain...).

If I remember correctly from "Junkyard Wars" (another US tv show) the pin
you used to hold/release the sling should in fact be a hook.  And the angle
of the hook would change the angle of release.  So, with the design in the
video, you could slip an angled axle connector (not sure the real name, but
they have numbers on them from 2, which is 180 degrees, to I think 6=90
degrees) and the sling release angle would change.

It looks like that would increase the distance, because you seem to be
getting some serious height.

Now, I'm ready to try it...

Steve