 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5252
Re: Trebuchet Fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:38:40 GMT

Manganel. I tried building one out of lego, using the bungee from the
8205 Bungee Blaster, but it didn't work very well. It might have worked
better if i'd had a sling instead of just a cup, but that would have
taken more time/energy than i was willing to expend then.

Iain Hendry wrote:

I think it was the most fun I've had with LEGO in ages!  We had the most
difficulty with the sling (whatever it's called) - geting it to release.  If
you go through the video frame by frame and watch the release carefully you
can see how it naturally comes off the pin on the arm because the motion
changes from the string pulling back to swinging up over the top (hard to
explain...).

While we were doing it I guess I expected the projectiles to go further, but
if you think about it, its actually kind of awesome that such a small
machine can throw out that much energy to lob the thing 5 or 6 metres.
These guys on trebuchet.com are making machines that throw hundreds of
metres though.  :)

It would be fun to have the contest open to any kind of potential to kinetic
machine - IE, those M... M... m-something machines, the ones that are like
wound up and can fire stuff.  You know, find the most efficient storage
method of energy and build a launching device out of it.  I'm thinking
metalic grape shroud (MGS) with linear synchronous motor driven by a
flywheel/gen bank.

;)

    Iain