 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5200
Re: rtlToronto, the Road Ahead/VM Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:05:11 GMT

So is the competition to find the best capitalist or the best robot
designer? This is not a rhetorical question, I'd like to hear what
people think.

BOTH!!

every game we do is more than just building a robot. there is some
strategy involved.   With project X     I  made the choice to scan the
board first then solve. others had to solve on the fly.

This game should offer those same challenges.  as a "capitalist"  do you
vend a cheap candy, or have a slot machine.  what about some sort of
arcade machine......

I don't want to limit people to just vend a hard candy.. or whatever.

by allowing people to vend whatever they want then i hope to not stifle
the creative juices of people.

case in point. if we MADE people build a bridge then we would NOT have
seen that "hammer" robot for this last game. i never would have believed
it unless i saw it with my own eyes.

by allowing people to do as they want i expect out group to continue to
do the more crazy and unique things.

this is a good game as is; because it means that anyone who wanted a
certain game, has that ability to build that robot NOW.

if Dave K wants to build 2 RC barbie cars and have them smash each other
to bits for a quarter per kid then this is a GREAT game for that.

If Iain wants to build a crane he can adapt that into a stuffed  toy
grabber game.

if john wants a catapult... then he can make one and charge $$ for
it......

your vending machine does not have to VEND a solid thing... it can
dispense pleasure as well.....(dont go there)

this is why i do not want to limit people to what they vend.

And as to this point that was made:

I also think that a lego cup (for coins) and a stack of chocolate bars
with a sign reading "Chocolate bars, $.25 each" could outsell a
brilliant vending machine with granola bars.  I'd be saddened to see the
cup & bars win, because it's a cheap victory and we try to avoid those
in our competitions.

I agree we try to avoid cheap victories.  The best way we do that is by
limiting what you win.  for the longest time the winners of these games
only got bragging right. SO IF you decide to vend five dollar bills for
the price of a quarter. and you win.....  cool you win bragging rights.
WOW, BUT we all know  who did what at these games.  and we all learn
from that accordingly.

for the bridge game.  Matt unfortunately did not win BUT that does not
mean that i did not learn a neat way to lock 2 folding beams
together....

again, that's what I think RTL Toronto is about.  not winning by
cheating BUT by learning for each other.

Jeff E. showed up with an AMAZING no rcx bot that was better at finding
an edge and centring then my robot.   and i had an RCX and 2 rotation
sensors.... I learned from that.

Who knows what i might get if I see a machine that was not limited in
any way..... i can hardly wait.

:)

Chris