 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5194
Re: rtlToronto, the Road Ahead/VM Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:39:54 GMT

Matt,

Some good questions here.

I'd add the following: a hospital or similar venue almost certainly has
a contract to a vending machine operator.  We'd be in violation of any
such contract if we vend thing for cash.

I'm not sold on the most-cash-wins idea, nor the vend-what-you-please
idea.  To add to these debates:

What's wrong with capping the cost of goods vended at $.50 or $0.75 or
$1?  Everyone should be able to find something in that range, and it
gets rid of the $5-for-a-quarter thing, where the richest person could
buy a win.

I also think that a lego cup (for coins) and a stack of chocolate bars
with a sign reading "Chocolate bars, $.25 each" could outsell a
brilliant vending machine with granola bars.  I'd be saddened to see the
cup & bars win, because it's a cheap victory and we try to avoid those
in our competitions.

So is the competition to find the best capitalist or the best robot
designer? This is not a rhetorical question, I'd like to hear what
people think.

Maybe we need to building a scoring system which is X% appearance, Y%
technical merit, Z% $$ value collected or something.  Of course, we've
mostly avoided subjective decisions thus far, but we could always try.
Perhaps a panel of our peers? Or of random passers-by?

As for avoiding legal or contractual controversy because we're selling
things, we could try giving attendees tokens to use in the machines, and
letting them decide that way.  And have a "Suggested donation" box to
one side if we're dead-set on giving proceeds to charity.

I'd like to get feedback on what weights people would give different
scoring categories:

Appearance:  A replica full-sized coke machine with blinking lights
would do well
Technical merit:  An all-lego change-making vending machine that carves
your likeness out of a bar of soap would do well
$$Vended: A $100-bill-for a quarter vending machine consisting of a cup
for donations and a tray for the $100 bills would do well.

Other categories?  And who gets to judge?

Jeff E

Matthias Jetleb wrote:

I've decided to go against every fiber of my being and not wait until
the last minute before starting on the Vending Machines game. In
tossing around some ideas I've come up with a few questions: