 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6248
Re: rtlToronto, the Road Ahead to Winter 2002 and Spring 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:46:23 GMT

First, good luck at this weekends show.  Once you have recovered, I was
wondering if you had decided about participating in the 2003 NMRA annual
convention?
Last year at the last minute the Florida LTC tried to get TLG to subsidize
transportation for other LUGs and LTCs to the annual NMRA show.  It fell
through, presumably because of lack of time to prepare. If your group is
interested, given that you are on home ground, you should have priority in
organizing and hosting a Lego presence at the NMRA annual convention.  If
you start now, you should have time to see if TLG is willing to subsidize
transportation for any other LUGs or LTCs.  It seems that the NMRA is often
late in deciding who will be allowed at their show, so all discussions with
TLG would have to be made prior to and yet dependent on acceptance by the NMRA.
If RTL toronto would be willing to take on the helm, it would offer a great
opportunity for a display with a Canadian theme, perhaps called "Canada,
from sea to sea, with Lego".  If TLG were to subsidize travel, you could get
a few members from all the canadian LTCs, and LUGs to supply buildings and
track representative of their part of the country.  The layout could be 2
dogbones, layed out in the shape of a 'C'.  The opening in the 'C' would lay
between the representations of Vancouver and the maritimes.  VicLug and VLC
could supply port and logging scenes for the loop of the western dogbone,
NALUG could supply farming, petroleum, coal scenes for the long narrow arm
of the western dogbone.  The two dogbones would meet in central Canada,
where RTLtoronto and parLUGment would fill in the industries for central
Canada, MonLUG could fill in the shorter narrow arm of the straight portion
of the eastern dogbone with the St Lawrence seaway, and other canadian
industries such as Bombardier (imagine a yard full of small seadoos and
skidoos, and some train and plane frames) ending perhaps in Quebec city
(which has one of the few rack trains or funiculars in Canada), and NovaLUG
would cover the fisheries on the east coast in the small east loop of the
eastern dogbone.

A layout such as described with a definite theme, might be more readily
accepted by NMRA, and might have more appeal for TLG.  With a relatively
limited number of clubs participating it may be easier for TLG to fit in
their budget. On the negative side, we might antagonize our southern
brethren, and never again be able to participate in the annual NMRA
conventions, which are usually held in the US.

Thanks for your time, I hope I didn't stick my nose too much in something
that isn't really my business!  Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Michel Magnan

As noted in today's event, we've got a full schedule ahead for rtlToronto in
the coming year.  Here's up for discussion, debate etc.  Start following up
to this message.
Train:
July 2003
NMRA 2003 National Convention
http://www.ml2003.com/pages/home.html

    -MichLTC wants to do a layout up there.
    -Participation with other Canadian LUGs with more train experience
     ie, ParLUGment, MonLUG, NALUG etc.