 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5189
Re: rtlToronto, the Road Ahead/VM Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:32:34 GMT

I've decided to go against every fiber of my being and not wait until
the last minute before starting on the Vending Machines game. In
tossing around some ideas I've come up with a few questions:

In no particular order, here they are:

1) If one wants to have the participant play some sort of game with
the possibility of winning 50% of the current kitty, would this even
be legal? (in a law-and-order sense)  I wonder if this wouldn't be
considered gambling and thereby subject to various laws. It occured to
me that Chris has mentioned several times that if we want to make a
machine that dispenses 5 dollar bills for 25 cents each that's O.K.
for contest purposes since we would then be treating money as a vended
commodity. This doesn't strike me as being much different from a 50/50
machine with the exception that the 50/50 machine doesn't guarantee a
payout.

2) How are we keeping score? Obviously on the basis that whoever
collects the most money at the end of the day wins, but what if the
person enters more than one machine? Do we add them all up?

3) What if a machine does more than one function or vends more than
one commodity? Is this fundamentally different than having two
separate machines?

4)  If it is, where is the line between having one machine and having
two? Because they obtain their moniey through separate slots? What if
it's one slot with a button to select which game/vend you want? Must
the money be kept in separate bins?

5) If we decide that separate machines must be tallied separately,
what happens if I have an RCX in one machine flash a light in the
other and vice-versa? Are they one machine now?

I would suggest that the winner be *whomever* collects the most money
and not which machine collects it.  This would settle some of these
questions while rewarding builders who put more time into two or more
machines with radically different designs who would otherwise only be
recognized on the basis of whichever design was more popular, not on
the total effort.

6) Seriously. Has anyone confirmed that groups selling things
(anything, for any reason) is actually OK with the Library? I wouldn't
be a bit surprised if there were regulations forbidding the practice.

7) On a similar note: It seems not to be a well known fact, but it's
actually illegal for people who hold garage sales to sell hot-dogs
without a permit. It's amazing how many people actually do it. Does
anyone know the regulations regarding the vending of food? I know
pre-packaged food is OK, but where does this leave someone who wants
to vend candies? Sure Zellers may sell it in bags of 100 pcs, but when
they're dispensed, they won't be wrapped. I just wonder if there are
any regulations applicable to such things as bubble-gum machines and
their manufacturers or operators. I could well imagine that there
might be reglations such as any metal parts coming in contact with
unwrapped food be made of stainless steel, for example. I wonder what
the health department would say to unwrapped food in contact with ABS
that's been used god knows how many times and probably never washed.

You never know when a disgruntled, recently laid-off librarian who
didn't win at the 50/50 machine might file a complaint.

Matthias Jetleb