 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5199
Re: rtlToronto, the Road Ahead/VM Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:18:59 GMT

"Steve Hassenplug" <hassenplug@mail.com> wrote in

Some thoughts from an 'outsider'...

For the record, if anyone wants my opinion, I'm very happy to give it.
And sometimes, even if no one wants it, you'll still get it.

I'm not sold on the most-cash-wins idea, nor the vend-what-you-please
idea.  To add to these debates:

Personally, I don't like it, either.  If that is the only criteria,
then maybe the contest should be 'Best Deal' not 'Vending Machine'
because the contest could come down to which device/product is the
best deal.  ("The Price is Right?")  (Wait, that's an American show.
Do you guys get that up there?)

I believe the idea is to see who can make the machine that's the most
fun to operate.  Is that correct?

Hope you don't mind other thoughts from another 'outsider'...

I agree with Steve, the winner should be the machine which is most fun to
operate. That said, IMO the simplest way to have the result not affected
by the kind of product and by its price is that all the machines sell the
same product for the same price. This may sound a bit limiting, but I'm
sure you'll be able to find many creative ways to collect the money and
dispense the product. If the cash collected during the contest is going
to go to some charity association, the product itself is not very
important; it could even be a "virtual" product, that is a sort of
"donation certificate", or some kind of item which has to be returned to
the owner of the machine. Substantially, the public will pay just to see
the machine in action, at the same time knowing that the money goes into
something good.

If the way the product is dispensed offers many opportunities to adopt
different strategies and enrich the behaviour of the machine, the
handling of the coins offers even more: make your robot accept different
kind of coins, and possibly return the change!

My 0.02CDN

Ciao
Mario