 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5205
Re: rtlToronto, the Road Ahead/VM Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 05:11:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug writes:
Some thoughts from an 'outsider'...

For the record, if anyone wants my opinion, I'm very happy to give it.
And sometimes, even if no one wants it, you'll still get it.

You and me both! I wish you'd fix your posting mechanism though, if you
could, because it's breaking threads.

This is none of my business as I have little standing, but here's my 1.285
cents (2 cents canadian) anyway...

The ideal set of rules are those that encourage the maximum fun and maximum
creativity. Breaking the spirit of the rule should engender admiration for
the person who broke it because they found a fun and clever loophole and it
was neat to see them exploit it (1) and they should be promptly praised and
then shouted down... breaking rules should not engender resentment for that
person because they unfairly exploited an inadvertant mistake by the organizers.

So typically, rules ought to be simple. This game in my view is no
exception. But a pure capitalist approach (gulp!) probably isn't (gulp!)
quite right. (did I actually say that???)

Find the right set of simple rules and it will be obvious you found them.

1 - e.g. the "long long stick" method of scree crossing was clearly done for
humor and style points as a lark, not to actually seriously win... another
entry by the same contestant was serious and was a very strong contender
(duh, it actually won!) and honored the rules including honoring them in spirit.