 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5210
Re: rtlToronto, the Road Ahead/VM Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:09:17 GMT

Some thoughts from an 'outsider'...

For the record, if anyone wants my opinion, I'm very happy to give it.  And sometimes, even if no one wants it, you'll still get it.

Well there's my vending machine concept right there - I'll build
something that, for a token, will prod Steve until he dispenses an
opinion...

I'm not sold on the most-cash-wins idea, nor the vend-what-you-please
idea.  To add to these debates: • Thirded

Personally, I don't like it, either.  If that is the only criteria, then maybe the contest should be 'Best Deal' not 'Vending Machine' because the contest could come down to which device/product is the best deal.  ("The Price is Right?")  (Wait, that's an American show.  Do you guys get that up there?)
Yes, but only when the blizzards let up to allow reception in mid
July...

I believe the idea is to see who can make the machine that's the most fun to operate.  Is that correct?

I think Steve hits the nail on the head here. I've been trying to
figure out why I've hated this idea so much from the onset and I think
that's it - vending machines just aren't fun. I think making them fun
is probably a greater challenge than the mechanics of it all.

Here are a couple ideas I've talked with others about:
---
A 'strategy' award:  First, the robot designer should state the strategy of the robot: What is the robot's Strategy?  Sometimes, it may be odious.

I don't know about this. For any vending machine I can think of the
strategy is usually so obvious it doesn't need stating. This is
probably why I don't associate them with the word "fun".

Next, the crowd will award points for each of the following categories (1 to 5, 5 being best)

1) Is the Strategy...  Well implemented?  (Did the robot do what it should?)
2) ... Effective? (Did the strategy work?)
3) ... Winning?  (Did the bot win?)
4) ... Unique?  (not used by other robots, today)
5) ... Popular with the crowd?

The last couple questions may carry more weight than the others.
---

OR

---
Awards:
1) First Place
2) Mechanical design (Most compact, Least compact,  Most complex mechanically, Least complex mechanically, Heaviest, Most wheels used, Least wheels used,...
3) Creative/Original (Appearance, Closest mouse simulation, Fun Strategy, Funny looking,...)
---

Those don't directly fit this event, but the idea is to pick a couple categories (like Jeff said) and score each entry for each category.  I was thinking that would be a lot of work, but if the people voting (more later) had a sheet with a row for each robot/entry, and a column for each category, they could easily fill in the scores & totals.

Everyone present should be able to vote.  This would encourage everyone to bring friends, and I could bring my whole family.  Would there be a minimum voting age?  I guess a person would have to be able to fill out the voting form by themselves...

If this was considered a good way to score, the next thing is to collect categories for scoring.

Like:
Appearance
Technical merit/Mechanical design
Creative/Original
Popular/Favorite
$$Vended

I like the idea of the crowd voting for a "crowd favourite", I just
don't know if a questionaire is asking too much. I'd be afraid of
people not wanting to take the time to fill it out if it isn't really
short and simple. I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be to
place a number beside each entry and ask each spectator which entry #
they liked best, second best, and third best. We assign 3 points for
best, 2 points for second best and 1 point for third best. Highest
points wins.

I also like the builder's choice award concept.

Matthias Jetleb