 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4570
Re: Back, to, life, back, to, re-a-li-tay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 04:34:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message

Do you remember that song? I don't.

You mean "Back to Life" by Soul II Soul, the UK dance band?  Released May
30th 1989, UK charted to #1... :)

Um, okay :) You know what other song I was thinking about? The very first
music video I ever saw. I was like two or something, it was called "We Didnt
Start the Fire" or something like that. It was really, really freaky. I
can't believe I remember that.  ::shudders::

Bjork - All is Full of Love <-- BEST MUSIC VIDEO EVER CREATED.

Can I (we? everyone?) use the plug-in power pack thingie for the RCX for • the
next contest (11)? I want to.

I have no real opinion, but I'd want to hear people debate about it before
we decide one way or another.

What?? No Opinion Calum....

What about this??

"No external power is available-your entry must be powered by RCX internal
batteries or battery boxes. Stored energy devices (ie, a compressor tank
filled with air or extended rubber bands) are allowed, however, they must be
of Lego origin. "

How about, if no one replies in the next five minutes, I get to use a power
pack. :)

Personally, I think the wire hanging off the RCX would somewhat hinder
the transition of movement of your 'bot.

But here's another issue....what happens if another opponent's 'bot....
cough cough (Chris') bot starts to have a brain fart, and instead of picking
up the flag after crossing the gap, takes a wrong turn, and then.....

your wire is responsible for clothes-lining the 'bot....

bottom-line: it might interfere with the spirit of the game.

That is just my "innocent" view of the issue of using powered 'bots (RCX 1.0's).

I, will not be participating in it directly, but most likely take my usual
spot as an RTL match official, unless I get called to action, or they change
my drill for that particular weekend.

I finally got another RCX 1.0 in the mail (via E-bay).... I now have
2 RIS 1.0's and 1 RIS 1.5's.  I am waiting until Toys R US drops the price
of the 2.0's to get it...and then I'll have 4 RIS's.

As an added "bonus", I got a very good condition "ROBOSPORTS" accessory set.
I will test the condition of the 9V geared motor that comes with it...and
whether or not it works (if it doesn't I'll supply a "new" working one)
and plan to donate it as a prize for RTL 11.  For RTL 10, I donated a
"free" T-shirt.  I might as well donate a "free" robo-accessory pack.

I'll bring it to the next dinner....

Ben