 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3653
3652  |  3654
Subject:
Scoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:15:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, John Guerquin writes:
As Rob suggested, perhaps we should match the robots using 1 RCX against
each other in the 'flyweight' category, and the multiple RCX robots in the
'heavyweights' category.  This would be the 1st round.  Then maybe we could
have the 3 fastest robots in each weight category square off in a
championship battle, where each robot would have a match against the other 5
finalists.

Alternatively, we could hold the competition exactly as it is planned now.
Suppose Xbot "insert your robot's name here" wins overall with the highest
points, and uses 2 (or more) RCXs.  This would be the winner.  Then we could
take the highest scoring Xbot that uses 1 RCX, and call that the "runner up".
If the overall winner used 1 RCX, then we would take the highest scoring
multiple RCX robot, and declare that the "runner up".

What if there was only 1 multiple RCX robot and it came in dead last…I
certainly don’t think it would be right to call it the runner-up and even if
we did it would be a hollow victory. Would this be fair to the robot that
truly came in second?

What if somebody used 3 RCXs (which I’m quite sure is the case)...would we
create 3 categories Flyweight, Heavyweight, and Really Heavy.

What rule should we have in place to deal with parts in general...should we
limit them to only the contents of 1 Mindstorm set...or...do we create
additional categories for that too?

What you’re suggesting is a scoring change, which is in fact a rule change.
The time for this has passed.  As a group, we have discussed the rules and
the scoring. Now, with less than a week to go, I believe it would be very
wrong to open the rules to discussion.

Lastly, in all the competitions that we’ve held, I think there was only one
time that a dual RCX robot won.  I certainly haven’t seen a pattern of
multi-RCX robots dominating.