 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2958
Re: Why I like Calum (in Red Sauce with a Nice Bordeaux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 02:57:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
K, I'm the sole member in the camp that thought Shatner was great as Captain
Kirk.  Sure, campy at times, but I just love James Tiberius Kirk--"Risk *is*
our business..."

Sorry to butt in here but it has nothing to do with whether the man can act
or not (although he does have very few moves as an actor).

It is simply the case that The Next Generation show had better stories to
tell overall than the original series.  There are a few original series
standout episodes like "Duel" (the one where it's Kirk vs. the Disco Ball
eyed Lizard) and the stargate to Joan Collins one, but precious few taken as
a whole. By contrast there were many Next Gen shows that were very good --
the "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" one (which contrasts interestingly with
the Duel episode of the first series), the Data Turing Test one, Picard's
alternate life in 5 minutes (the one where he gets the pennywhistle), the
Traveller episodes, the last Wesley episode, some of the Klingon empire ones
(only some, because some of them also suck!), and so on. [Sorry I didn't
know the official titles of the episodes, but I assume you can figure out
the shows I am referencing here.]

But no matter, we can agree to disagree.

"Mirab, his sails unfurled!"

-- Hop-Frog

Hey Hoppy....,  :)

you forgot the episodes with "Q", ferengi, and the Borg.
These are some of my favorite episodes.  Maybe you covered them already.
I guess that was one differing concept with TNG, a more than one episode
approach to adversary development.

But as movies go, I'd have to prefer the "classic" Star Trek 1 - 6
over the last three "TNG movies".  However, I did really love
First Contact.  (and I haven't seen the last movie, but the first
TNG movie with tie-in the old series wasn't that good - proves that
Shatner isn't a good actor....screenplay didn't help, though!)

Anyways, I usually don't post too much stuff that isn't related to
Lego.  But I do like to take the opportunity to watch some decent
movies, (sometimes many times over!!) when I am not busy designing
a model or busy with school work.

Benjamin Medinets