 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2951
Re: Why I like Calum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:50:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Trevyn Watson writes:
and most importantly, the
acting "talent" of Shatner.

K, I'm the sole member in the camp that thought Shatner was great as Captain
Kirk.  Sure, campy at times, but I just love James Tiberius Kirk--"Risk *is*
our business..."

Sure we can look back *now*, after all the sci-fi of the '90's - '00's like
bab5, earth-final conflict, blah blah blah and say unequivicably how sad the
original series was, but in the '60's, what else waas there?  the prop
masters did all their own special effects--there was no ILM, no fancy
computers, no nuttin' for them to farm out/ask/sniv ideas from....

and don't ever forget that it was the appeal of Shatner and Nimoy that got
the show thru 2.5 seasons, and decades of reruns 'cause we're obviously not
watching TOS for it's special effects and/or scientific accuracy.

I love all incarnations of Star Trek thus far ('xcept DS9, but if there's
nothing else on, I'll watch it) but TOS still leads the way.

imho, Star Wars et al would not be here if not for Roddenberry and the crew
of the USS Enterprise... no bloody A, B, C, orrrr D.

/steps off soapbox

To bring it back to LEGO, I remember building an enterprise, using up all my
white brick when I was around 6-7 (1973-4)