 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2792
Re: rtlToronto10 competition rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:16:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
How strictly do you guys enforce color rules such as "game board must be
grey, pieces must be white"? Will it be a big deal if my board is green and
pieces are yellow?

Hi Ivan,
As everyone else said, welcome! About your colour concerns, I completely agree.
I am going to use white 2x4 bricks for the walls on a grey baseplate, and
black for the blocks. This is all i have access to. I don't even have enough
pieces for 8 3x3 blocks. I don't see any way how different colours or wall
heights would give someone an advantage.

That being said.  at the end of the day we really just want to see
robots, and because there is no prize then the idea of "cheating" (sorry
i could not think of a better word) just means that your robot wins
under different conditions.

You know, it would be nice to have a small prize, just to drive the competition
level up a notch. I guess some people might not like this though. We have
discussed this before. A lot of my friends asked me how my last Lego
competition went, and then the first thing they say is what did you win? I
would be nice to have something to hang on the wall...

OK, back to the colours. the colours were decided upon so that IF
someone was going to use a light sensor to detect blocks, the board
should be standard.

Hmmm... Chris, are you using a touch sensor to see blocks? Not a bad idea.
Slow, but reliable.

If your robot could (and the key word is COULD) work with a "standard"
colour game board then i see no problem if you show up with fuchsia base
and tartan blocks.

Personally I prefer mauve and chartreuse:)

As an example, I personally do not own enuff 3 long bricks to make all
white blocks. SO i used multi coloured bricks to make my blocks.   the
point here is that for my robot it does not matter.  and if i could get
my hands on official blocks then my robot would work just as well.

Yes, you are defenitely using a touch sensor to 'see' blocks. As a said
earlier, I don't have enough 3 long bricks either. Dave? Calum? Ben? Anyone
else who has 50 gazillion part collections? Want to help out the less fortunate
among us? I would like 8 3x3 blocks in black please:)
Rob