 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2774
Re: rtlToronto10 competition rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 05:18:49 GMT

How strictly do you guys enforce color rules such as "game board must be
grey, pieces must be white"? Will it be a big deal if my board is green and
pieces are yellow?

HI  Ivan !!!

Welcome to RTLToronto.

As Ben said (Hi Ben) this is a "gentleman's" game.  for the life of me I
don't know why we call it that........ never mind.

(smirk)

OK, The reason We came up with the idea of a grey base and black border
and white brick was to give everyone the same place to start.

normally, we (Calum and I) provide a standard game board, and all robots
compete on the same surface.   For this game we are allowing some
flexibility and decided that as long as everyone built the same game
board, then it would be no different if there was only the official game
board.

That being said.  at the end of the day we really just want to see
robots, and because there is no prize then the idea of "cheating" (sorry
i could not think of a better word) just means that your robot wins
under different conditions.

OK, back to the colours. the colours were decided upon so that IF
someone was going to use a light sensor to detect blocks, the board
should be standard.   I (and this is just MY opinion and is not
official)  the idea was that maybe someone might figure out the light
reading values between a blue base and white blocks is better to "see"
then a grey base and white blocks.

If your robot could (and the key word is COULD) work with a "standard"
colour game board then i see no problem if you show up with fuchsia base
and tartan blocks.

As an example, I personally do not own enuff 3 long bricks to make all
white blocks. SO i used multi coloured bricks to make my blocks.   the
point here is that for my robot it does not matter.  and if i could get
my hands on official blocks then my robot would work just as well.

I understand that plain grey bases are no longer sold. (except as the
large 48 x 48) and that the multi coloured ones are cheap.

I'd say don't sweat it too much.  You have other bigger issues just
trying to make a robot that will beat Iain's

:)

Chris
starting Nov. 22 My ISP is forcing me to change my e-mail address!!!