 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2775
Re: rtlToronto10 competition rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 06:58:32 GMT

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 22:15:29 GMT, "Louchy" <ivn@idirect.ca> wrote:
How strictly do you guys enforce color rules such as "game board must be
grey, pieces must be white"? Will it be a big deal if my board is green and
pieces are yellow?

<Dark Humour ON>
<Calum Mocking ON>

Rules for the upcoming event will be enforced very strictly. The group
has adopted a new policy fo 'beating down rougue contestants'. This
was never too much of a concern in the past, but has become necessary
as a way to allow Iain to vent is desires for "beating down rogue
children" which has since been outlawed by Calum. :-)

<Calum Mocking OFF>
<Dark Humour OFF>

To answer your question more seriously....

It should be remembered that no one wins anything at these events -
there aren't any prizes or awards - just the admiration of your peers
and the personal satisfaction of having tried. Hence, if you want to
buy a Cray supercomputer to boost your processing speed, mount it in a
frame of cut-off technic beams and hang it off the back of your robot
with piano wire, that's up to you. Obviously, the more your robot is
built in keeping spirit of the game's rules, the more people will
respect your efforts and the more satisfied you will be with the
achievement. We all realize that not everyone has enough of the right
types of pieces or the right colours to abide by all rules for all
games all the time and no one would expect you to run out and buy
parts you don't have just to satisfy the rules. Improvisation is often
essential. The same applies to an individual's skills. Not everyone is
sufficiently skilled at programming or mechanically adept enough to
build a robot that has all the functions controlled by one RCX. Some
may find they can only accomplish the task with two RCX's and simpler
gear trains. Even if you brough such a robot to an event that calls
for single-RCX designs, no one is going to throw you out (they may
snicker behind your back and point fingers, but the won't throw you
out ;-)  ) and you would still learn something about how others solved
the problems. Learning and participating is really what it's all
about. Mind you, if you do show up with a Cray add-on, or other
inferior, non-Lego hardware, you might reasonably expect to be
lynched.

For the record, I say all this without ever having attended a
rtlToronto robotics event, much less actually build something for one.
I only "discovered" Lugnet about 18 months ago and this new group last
Christmas. Unfortunately, my spring and summer were largely dedicated
to becoming intimately familiar with Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
and keeping a daily vigal at my father's bedside as a combination of
cancer and congestive heart failure slowly did their evil deeds.
Needless to say, entering any competitions was out of the question.
His death in September has freed up enough time that I can now make a
serious attempt to enter the next competition, so you won't be the
only newbie.

Disclaimer: the previous comments were not intended to raise the ire
of Calum who might be concerned that any dead people reading this
newsgroup might be offended.

Oops. I thought I switched <Dark Humor> and <Calum Mocking> off?!?

Keep smiling Calum...

Matthias Jetleb

Father of two children, bringer of children to rtlToronto events, and
someone who knows Iain's humor when he sees it.