 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16532
  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) The easiest way is to cover the board with tiles. However, that's a bunch of tiles, and not everyone has that available (after they've made the cubes). On the other hand, leaving the board as-is will give better builders another challenge to (...) (18 years ago, 2-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote: <snip> (...) I'm liking this idea more and more. I like the time factor to help determine the winner and I like the time penalty for every 'touch'. It's just like Project X except one row and (...) (18 years ago, 2-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) We didn't do a "time penalty" for touching. That could make it so a very-fast, very-sloppy robot could win against a very-slow, very-accurate robot. If you have to help your robot play, you should lose to someone who doesn't have to help their (...) (18 years ago, 2-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) ummm... NO (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

Is there a reason to use square blocks? Just to make it a harder material handling problem? How about a shape more amenable to handling...say something with handles? -Rob A> (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) How about two different shapes. May I suggest Xs and Os. Derek (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) hummmmmm how about soccer balls? They have 2 colours?(1) Orange basket balls, and the white soccer ones.(2) Now i have to go and find my Project X if's code. geesh. Chris Project X 2nd PLACE winner 1. or we could reuse the black and white (...) (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) One problem (or at least challenge) with the soccer/baseketball idea. To a light sensor, they have the potential to look exactly the same (i.e. - tell the two of them apart with high accuracy is not an easy thing to do). (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) um, we talked about this a LOT for the C$ game. in theory, you DONT need to even use a light sensor. in fact. didnt your leader only use touch for his C$? Chris (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) There wer a couple of reason for wanting flat cubes, and the fact that many of us only had about a plate worth of clearence between the cube placing/sensing assembly and a filled cell below was one of these issues. As to sensing, we used (...) (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) Yes, touch sensors can be used, in fact none of the 3T robots that I am aware of actually used light sensors to directly detect the color of the blocks for tic-tac-toe (some used light sensors indirectly). Of course, you don't actually have to (...) (18 years ago, 4-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) Yeah, good point. I forget that, as I was one of the few (was I the only?) person who built a robot that *did* care about the color of the blocks. In the original plan, we had two other rules or guidelines: (a) white goes first, and (b) (...) (18 years ago, 5-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(Sorry, I'm just jumping in here to post, I didn't see a good part in this thread to hop in at...) But my question is, like - how do you program for tic tac toe? How did people figure out how to program for Project X? That's what I don't get. I (...) (18 years ago, 7-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) for me, it came as 8 "conditions" nested with 8 locations. 1. scan the board, 2. was block in the correct location or empty? 3. take FIRST block in the wrong location, and put it in the FIRST location that needed a block. go to 2. 64 NESTED (...) (18 years ago, 7-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) (URL) is your friend... -Rob A> (18 years ago, 7-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) OMG, massive ADD moment. I saw pages of text and instantly clicked X. Bicycles with streamers!??!! WOOOOO!!!!! Iain (18 years ago, 7-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)