 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16057
Re: Jambalya!!! (and FOTW)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 00:11:33 GMT

The idea of someone rummaging through your collection is not attractive to many people.   It's also logistically nuts.

Part of the twisted nosey side of me, would love to see others collections...
but I personally wouldnt feel comfortable saying... oh wow, I would love
these... knowing full well you are putting the other person in a weird spot of
either saying "sure, take them, or well I love them too"

I'm not driving to Hamilton to see your collection of green plates, for example,

But its worth the drive to Acton.

then driving next weekend to Chris' house to look at yellow axle joiners.

WOW Chris has yellow axle joiners??? I'd drive to TO for that!!! (not)
Actually, dont most of you go to each others houses for tea on Sundays
already???

Yet if you tell people to just bring whatever to the next event for trade,
packrats like me would show up with probably a few Bionicle masks and a bag of
pink window shutters.

Oh oh oh... pink... mmmmmmm.

Which eliminates the "Red window frames!  I need those!"
"Oh, those?  I hate those.  Take'em!"  The original idea captures the
spontaneity and discovery of what people are interested in...

Agree, spontaneity is lost... but we could go half way inbetween...

So...would it make sense to actually set aside a day called "The Big Lego
Trading Thing" and have people bring stuff out they DEFINTELY want to get off
for trade?

I think it would, it could even be combined with the next event... Like the
morning of rtl21??... or our next longer display... such as Hobby Show??

I usually donate items I dont want to our play area of the local library, but
-IF- I can trade Lego I do want, for Lego I dont want, Im in!

We could, if anyone wanted to play along... even put up wish lists which might
"prompt" others to realise they have things to get rid of and what sort of
things to bring.

For example... Lets say I post "Im always looking for anything pink, homemaker
and belville parts and 1/2 technic pins and Im willing to get rid of basic
bricks in yellow and blue, and a pile of tires, and technic beams in various
colours" Maybe Derek says, "I have some pink, and I could use some blue or
yellow bricks for filler for the layout".... and then Calum posts, "I hate
minifig heads that arent the classic smile", and I post back saying, "I love the
other heads for the characters I like to build, I will dig out my classic grin"
Then Chris says, I have 1/2 pins coming out my ears and I need garage roller
doors" and Dave says... "I need orange slopes for wedding flowers and have extra
baseplates in old grey" and Jeff says "I have too many space parts and need more
tan" etc etc... Point being, if we let our wishes known, ppl can search out
things in their own collection, and throw in other things as they come across
them, knowing that others are doing the same, to meet the needs.

Its worth at least a try, of course, we are only going to get out of it, what we
put in.

Or should this be left to the "more diverse LUG" leadership?

I dont think it matters, if everyone is invited to "play" why does it matter who
"runs" it?  (Like any of those "diverse" lugs are big on "running" beyond "show
up, and let it happen".)

Janey "Have any bricks I need?? Red Brick"

PS... I'm always looking for anything pink, and I am really serious need of 1/2
technic pins.