 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16056
Re: Jambalya!!! (and FOTW)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2006 17:33:00 GMT

So the proposal (may have been Chris--the ruler of all things everywhere) was
thus--we go to each others homes and have a boo at the LEGO collection on site.
We work out a deal with the owner of the collection--"I take these pieces from
your collection that I need for those pieces from my collection that you need"
The discussion will ensue and all parties can come away with pieces they
want/need and no need to purchase anything--exchange is a good thing!  :)

And we visit, en masse or individually, each other's collection.

I dunno--could be fun or could be a nightmare.

Well, this was talked a bit about at the dinner, and here's the two sides of the
issue, at least from my view:

The idea of someone rummaging through your collection is not attractive to many people.   It's also logistically nuts.  I'm not driving to Hamilton to see your collection of green plates, for example, then driving next weekend to Chris' house to look at yellow axle joiners.

Yet if you tell people to just bring whatever to the next event for trade,
packrats like me would show up with probably a few Bionicle masks and a bag of
pink window shutters.  Which eliminates the "Red window frames!  I need those!"
"Oh, those?  I hate those.  Take'em!"  The original idea captures the
spontaneity and discovery of what people are interested in...

Tough call.

So...would it make sense to actually set aside a day called "The Big Lego
Trading Thing" and have people bring stuff out they DEFINTELY want to get off
for trade?  Or should this be left to the "more diverse LUG" leadership?

Calum