 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15222
Re: Has MOCPages been harvested for spam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:33:46 GMT

I wanted to understand method by which my email address was harvested
before address it to MOCPages.  Clearly it's a design flaw, and not
something more sinister which was one of my original concerns.

Derek, everyone:

Yes... this was a design flaw on my part; I would never, NEVER sell people's
personal information.  I, myself, get over 400 pieces of spam every day, and am
very sensitive to giving out my own e-mail, phone numbers, etc.  I'd never do
that to everyone here in this community that I love so much.

Sorry about the spam :( ... MOCpages has been getting hit pretty hard lately by
form-filling bots & crawlers and whatnot.

In retrospect, this design flaw was a pretty stupid one on my part.  The good
news is that I can change the behaviour on MOCpages pretty easily ... I can use
your user ID (the number present in your home page URL) and I'm not sure why I
never thought of that when I created MOCpages.  The tricky part is going through
and changing the 2,964 existing users' thumbnail directories in the filesystem
from addresses into IDs.  I'll have to write a program to do that... which might
be a while since I'm moving across the country this week. :(

But, consider me "on it".

Sean
- - -
MOCpages Admin