 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15208
Re: Has MOCPages been harvested for spam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:39:37 GMT

Tim Gould wrote:

I have an email address I uses exclusively for MOCPages.  I just
received eBay account fraud spam directed to that email address.

I've looked at my MOCPages pages and couldn't find anywhere where this
address is displayed.

Has anyone heard anything about MOCPages being harvested for spam?

Derek

Unfortunately all the thumbnail images contain you address in the URL (right
click and select view image and look at the name of the file). I assume this is
where they've been harvested from.

Now there's a serious design flaw.  In fact the use of your email
address in this way appears to be contrary to the MOCPages privacy policy.

" We hate unsolicited e-mail just as much as everyone else. We will
never distribute, sell, or abuse your e-mail address. Period. As an
account holder, your e-mail address is used as your account name only so
that we can uniquely recognize you, and so that we can communicate with
you. "

This is definitely an abuse of the email address.  It's not being used
to recognize me or communicate with me.  A unique id or hash could
easily have been used instead of email addresses for this purpose.

Derek