 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14926
Re: New LEGO RoboCam'Bot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:08:08 GMT

<snip>

DAVE, do you have a step by step "how to "

to do what you did for some kind of interweb-tele-robotics thing??

:)

Chris

I thought you'd appreciate thw whole 'Chris is cool' thing... but alas...

First--you need a webserver

Second--you need a webcam

Third--you need webcam software

Really, that's about it.

For the first part, I'm using Apache to serve out http://sparky.i989.net

the second part--the webcam--I'm using the LEGO Vision Command--install the
software for the camera on a system and make sure that's all up and running.
Actually, you don't need to install all of Vision Command, just the drivers for
the actual camera.

The third bit--the webcam software--I'm using Webcam32 from the Surveyor corp--

http://www.webcam32.com/products/webcam32_demo.html

It has a pretty easy walkthru--install webcam software, add either a java applet
to your web server or add javascript to a web page--

http://sparky.i989.net/javascript.html

(see source code to see how easy it really is)

Now if you want the RCX working with it, there's a few added things--

Download either WebBrick or WebRCX (can't find links right now) and
configure--also relatively simple--and add buttons to web page.

Beyond that, I'll get into specifics if you need 'em.

You really don't need a web server to do this stuff--you do need, hwever, a good
hosting service that'll allow you to point to an external system for the video
streaming and to send the RCX commands.  I've never tried it except for that
time I had 2 webcam'bots running--one was on an external system.

Dave K