 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14784
  Hobby Show--huh??

So I just received a phone call from Christine--she's helping organize the clubs who are attending the hobby show. so bottom line--we have to bring our own tables and chairs (or rent them) AND if we want electicity, we have to rent that from the (...) (19 years ago, 26-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) My first impulse is we're out. I don't think we should have to pay money to put on a show for them. On second though I don't want to miss out on seeing everyones work. So I guess the big question is, how much? For tables, I can bring my train (...) (19 years ago, 26-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft wrote: <snip> (...) I hear thru the grapevine that many exhibitors aren't happy.. I have train modules that I can bring. If anyone has access to folding tables, I think that'd be better. I'll look into the (...) (19 years ago, 26-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) I've done lots of conventions and having to pay for electricity isn't that uncommon, but having to pay for tables and chairs is unheard of! That sucks. I was going to suggest the train tables, but Derek beat me to it. Convention centres (...) (19 years ago, 26-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) I totally agree on both points. My understanding of the previous years was that the display booths were there to draw in the crowds and the vendors then paid to have their booths and sell to the people attending. The deal was (and we stuck to (...) (19 years ago, 26-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) Hey guys, This is insane. If Hobby Show wants us there, they can pay for tables and electricity. If they can't, I guess they can take any mention of Lego off their website, and pictures of anything we've done. I'm sick of these cheapskates (...) (19 years ago, 27-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Calum Tsang wrote: <snip> (...) Basically I was waiting for Calum to pipe in 'cause he cuts straight to the chase. As for me, I'm pretty much 'on the fence'--I love doing these shows but I don't want to pay for it-we're (...) (19 years ago, 27-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

I had a nice chat with Christine from the Hobby Show. She informed me that they've been losing money over the last few years and need to defer the costs if people want the hobby show to continue. As many of you remember, I had some conversations (...) (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) Can I ask a dumb question? Do we NEED electricity as we don't have a train layout? We could all run off battery. BTW, thanks for leading this and taking the call to go. Calum (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) I agree. Power is really nice to have, but not at any price. My feeling is that's too high for our needs. I was thinking, if it was half that, then ya maybe it's worth chipping in for it. (...) Agreed again. What ever you decide, I'll chip in (...) (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft wrote: <snip> (...) Well, if we're running a GBC all day, that'll be hard on batteries, even with rechargables. What else--anyone bringing MOCs that require power? If we aren't worried about it, then it's (...) (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) I would be ok with pitching in like 10 bucks... (i am assuming that there are at least 10 of us there) I think power will be a necissity baised on past experiences... (The gutter train ran 1 motor for about 6 hours on 1 9 volt battery, and (...) (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) Like Calum said before, I don't think we should have to PAY to be there (don't some groups get PAID to be at shows?). But electricity is nice in our modern times, and it's a good time, so you can count me in for another $10. -Greg (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Hobby Show... Moonbase Moonbase Moonbase... was - Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) Why thank you for that intro Dave. I am in fact taking the lead on organizing the moonbase layout at the hobby show. So if you have ever wanted to build a moonbase, anything spacey, or a space monorail, Bring it with you to the Hobby Show! For (...) (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) Depends - the module that got the most run-time at BrickFest was likely my Cascade one (as it can run stand-alone and for an hour or more at a time with no supervision... better than my children, actually). I only swapped batteries on it (...) (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) Jeff E had a lovely little Marry Go Round that was powered of a crank connected to a gear motor. You could get it going around pretty good too, as I recall. I can't seem to find any pictures of it. I thought he built it for Train2. Derek (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) hehe. I know exactly what I'm going to do with my capacitor when I get home tonight... One manually-power GBCm, coming right up! (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) To the best of my knowledge no group has ever been paid to attend The Hobby Show specifically. I can't speak to other shows, but for this one I'm pretty sure there has only ever been two basic types of booths: 1) Club booths - like us, or the (...) (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)

  Re: Hobby Show--huh??

(...) Agreed! Derek (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on)