 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14848
Re: Hobby Show--huh??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:47:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Greg Hyland wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Van Winden wrote:
I would be ok with pitching in like 10 bucks... (i am assuming that there are at
least 10 of us there)

Like Calum said before, I don't think we should have to PAY to be there (don't
some groups get PAID to be at shows?).

To the best of my knowledge no group has ever been paid to attend The Hobby Show
specifically.  I can't speak to other shows, but for this one I'm pretty sure
there has only ever been two basic types of booths:

1) Club booths - like us, or the model train, model car, RC, quilters and so on.
People displaying their "hobby" but not allowed to sell anything at their booth.
And those booths have always been free.  The clubs were neither charged, nor
paid.

2) Vendor booths - hobby shops, inventors of clever and useful gadgets, and so
on.  These people did pay to be there, but were in turn allowed to sell openly
to the public.  The public which, in theory, the club booths helped to draw in
with their displays.

But as I think Dave said elsewhere (apologies if I'm misremembering) I think we
should just be there for ourselves, enjoy yacking about LEGO and showing off our
amazing LEGO super powers to the kids.  Forget whether or not the show is making
money, but at the same time try to keep our expenses to an absolute minimum.
This is still the only real place (that I know of) for builders in this area to
simply come out and display their models.  I wish I knew of another show, or
somewhere else we could do a display like this, but at the moment I don't.

But electricity is nice in our modern
times, and it's a good time, so you can count me in for another $10.

I'm in for $10.  I might need to charge a camera or something who knows?  :)

I'm not going to worry about the politics of the show at all, I just really want
to see, meet for the first time, meet again, and talk with everyone from around
here and see their models.

Allan