 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11697
Re: Fifteen years of instructions: Some comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:04:43 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
Wow.  Looking through all that stuff was a major flashback.  Espically the
Technic sets from the mid-90's.

Going through these instructions in real life is a treat too.  You mentally note
stuff like "Got that one....wanted that one...got that one...never saw that one
in the store" over and over again.

It took me back to a time when the most exciting thing in my life was when

Listen, after a day of debugging godawful GSM GPRS modems, I wish the most
exciting day in my life was to go to TRU with the hope of cool Lego.

the ones with the dark-blue background, with white dimensional drawings (in
metric) on the backdrop behind the model.

The box art of that era evoked a certain feeling...also, the grey of the train
sets, the fabulous blurry out of focus train overhead wires in the background,
the bright yellow and blue LEGOLAND borders of the 80's...

I ran home with the box under my arm and did nothing but build plotters and
turtles for like a MONTH.

Aw!  I remember seeing the Control Center a LONG time ago, when a family friend
who knew I liked Lego clipped it out of an educational advertisement and showed
it to me when we went over for dinner.  But unlike you, we had NO IDEA how to
get one, even though my mother had ways of getting poorly written British
reading materials for us to "learn English" even though we lived in frickin
Canada.

You know, come to think of it, I'm not really sure why my mother felt we were
deficient in our reading skills, but for some unusual reason she had ordered
these really stupid Hong Kong British educational system books about reading.
Really screwed up stuff like "Thomas is a jolly old bloke who eats his bangers
and mash while watching the telly" and the rest.

That and a year of Kumon "math enrichment" aka, "Us Koreans Know Nothing About
Pedagogical Methods Other Than Rote Drill Metholdology, Even for High School
Students (Now Beat Your Children Senseless to Promote Good Asian Discipline)"
which my mother forced me to attend, fearing I would not get good grades for
high school.  Coupled with tutoring, I learned to hate mathematics.  Fortunately
for me, Nadine let me copy most of her EngAnalysisII problem sets...

Anyways, back to unusual Lego sets.  The first magazine subscription I ever had
for myself was to COMPUTE! Magazine.  (Yeah.  Okay then.)  There was a tidbit
section which had the news item that Lego had invented a set called Lego TC
Logo, a Apple II based robotics system that allowed you to drive motors from a
computer.  Even though the most systems control I had ever done was to fire the
pins of my Star Micronics Gemini 10X printer into the ceiling, I desperately
wanted this set.  Back then, we didn't have the Internet or for that matter
someone like Jake McKee, so my father, probably to distract me, suggested I
write a letter to Lego asking for more information.  Needless to say, I finished
the letter but never bothered to send it.

I don't think that's THAT embarassing.    You don't know how incredibly happy I
was to find out that I figured out what the Honda part number for the steering
wheel audio controller of my Accord was.  I was ecstatic today when the parts
department guy said it was only $42.  I AM SO GETTING A STEERING WHEEL AUDIO
CONTROLLER.  Accord EX-L owners, I laugh at you.  My LX-G will have steering
wheel audio controls! * MWahahaha!

Calum
* if I don't get killed by setting the airbag off while trying to install it.

** this was one of my favourite pieces when I was younger:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3754px7