 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11699
Re: Fifteen years of instructions: Some comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:15:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Richard Morton wrote:
My LX-G will have steering
wheel audio controls! * MWahahaha!

Alas, Stupid Project fun has failed.  Colleagues and I pulled out the airbag as
per Honda instructions, and found the existing mini-harness inside to not have a
connector for the Audio switch.  So for now, my audio switch is useless, perhaps
to work with a future hand built MP3 player.

Speaking of Honda parts...
You know about the
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catdisplay.jsp website
don't you.
I use this for searching for Honda parts, such as the complete right mirror
assembly I had to buy to replace the one I broke on a mailbox 4 days after
picking up my brand new Honda Element! grrr...

No, I didn't!  This is like an online version of the HONDACOM2000 interface I
commandeered at the dealer's part desk.  They have a clerk there who explored
around the interface with me for about 15 minutes today.  We found the part
harness for the EX-L which has the audio switch included, and ordered it
($6.77).

Our next questions are:

a) is the rest of the dash wiring harness carrying the switch signals past the
mini-harness in the steering wheel.

b) does that dash wiring harness go into radio and does it pull those lines from
the steering switch in.

c) does the stock 1 disc head unit respond to those lines for control, the way
the 6 disc changer does?

All of this presumes that Honda is willing to negate features for marketing
reasons which you can enable later, sort of like the RCX's power jack or like
Shooting Pirate Cannons.  It's not advertised, but it's there.  But, just like
the Mindstorms, some boxes had the power jack, others didn't.  So far it's
proven wrong--they went to the bother of removing a simple 2" wire and connector
and having two separate harnesses for just switches.  Who knows if the rest
works?

Obviously I couldn't spend all day pondering if the rest of the system is
similar at this poor kid's terminal. Now with this site, I can examine the
various parts between variants at my leisure!  This is very useful, thanks!

A good site for accessories for Honda is
http://www.handaaccessories.com/honda.html

That's what got me in trouble in the first place.  I've been driving an 04 Prius
lately, and it has steering wheel audio controls.  I have visited H and A a lot,
and found instructions on how to replace the steering wheel with some Fast and
the Furious-esque steering wheel.  In it, they describe the inside modularity of
the existing wheel.  Damn my curiosity!  It's cost $42+7 so far! :)

Richard - who is so sad, he nicknamed his Element 'BrikTruk' !!

Does every Lego fan get one of these?  Derek has one too!

Calum