 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11689
Re: Fifteen years of instructions: Some comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:16:13 GMT

Wow.  Looking through all that stuff was a major flashback.  Espically the
Technic sets from the mid-90's.

It took me back to a time when the most exciting thing in my life was when my
parents would take me to "Toys R Us" on a surprise detour at the end of a long
boring day of shopping or something.  I'd run straight for the LEGO section, I'd
look for that big red square hanging over the aisle...

When I'd get there, I'd see all those awesome Technic sets.  You know the era -
the ones with the dark-blue background, with white dimensional drawings (in
metric) on the backdrop behind the model.

You know, I'm embarased about this, but, in Grade 7 or so, our science teacher
had a brocheure on his desk.  I didn't know where he got it, but it was for
Control Centre and Control Lab.  I guess someone was pitching it to our school
or whatever.  I BEGGED him to let me have it (I didn't have to, he did).  I
treasured that leaflet for like a year, and after I saved up enough, I got my
parents to get in touch with the school.  Through the secratary, principal, and
my science teacher, we managed to order the standalone Control Centre and 2 9
volt motors.  I checked with the secratary every day for like 3 weeks until it
finally came in.  I remember, we were standing around at the door, waiting for
the second bell so we could leave class at the end of the day.  I got Mr.
McGregor to page the secratary and ask if it had come in yet - she said there
was a parcel for me that arrived!  I had a massive fit, I think I screamed, and
was jumping up and down, and as soon as the bell rang I RAN as fast as I could
to the office.

I ran home with the box under my arm and did nothing but build plotters and
turtles for like a MONTH.

    Iain