 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11705
11704  |  11706
Subject:
Name derivations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 03:11:05 GMT

The Siouan name Winona (First-Born Daughter) is found in twenty-eight states.
Some of these place names commemorate the fictional mother of Hiawatha in
Longfellow's Song of Hiawatha, while others are derived from the name of a
cousin of the last Siouan chief, Wabasha;

Wabasha! Hey, NOW I know where exactly Wabash comes from (very big around
here... Wabash River, Wabash Cannonball, there's a Wabash St in Springfield IL
that is a main drag, etc etc etc)