 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11678
  Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

:-/ I'm reluctant to post this, because I know I've posted a fair chunk of already off-topic stuff in the past. But this one is really driving me nuts, and I know there are several of us on here who are a) outdoorsie types, b) not from Toronto, c) (...) (20 years ago, 12-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  RE: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

Iaia, Being an outdoorsy type, and interested in bridges, you need to come up to Collingwood to the Scenic Caves park. Not because of the caves, but becasue of the really cool suspension bridge they put in over the valley. It's like 300 meters off (...) (20 years ago, 12-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  RE: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

Sorry, that's 25 M off the ground and 300 m over the bay.... Ralph (...) (20 years ago, 12-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

Hey Iain, While I don't know exactly what that structure is, I know it's part of the that gravel pit, and it's somewhere in the middle. I made the same trip around the pit you did one time. My understanding is it has something to do with moving (...) (20 years ago, 12-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

Hey guys, As a follow-up to the bridge question, I emailed the Halton Conservation Authority people and got a response! Here it is... Iain -- The "ridge" you see is the Niagara Escarpment, which runs from Niagara to Tobermory, and we are very (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

Cool, Now I've got to figure out how to get out there. I know some areas were you can park around there, but they could be some distance from trail entrance. Here's the Mapquest map of the area. (URL) have to zoom in one level for it to show 6th (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

(...) (snip) (...) Hi Iain, I have hiked my area of the Bruce Trail often. I purchase the handbook, due to the fact that the other people I hike with have a terrible sense of direction (me? I never get lost- okay I lie, moving along). Now while I (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

It took some digging, but I found a map of the area in question with the trail shown. Granted it's not a great map, but it's enough that I should be able to find it. (URL) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

G'Day You can also check out: (URL) for a good description. Cheers Oliver <snip> (20 years ago, 17-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

Well I did it. I hiked the trail on the weekend. 13 something km. Wow, that's a long hike, at least for me. I'm really feeling it today. The trail is quite ruff in places, and there are some small climbs over rocky piles but for the most it's a (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

(...) Excellent Derek, glad you ended up finding that bridge. (...) Cool, did you take any pics? (...) BTW if anyone does end up missing that turn, and you end up heading to Tobermory..... I'm sure you will be thirsty, so drop by my deck for a cold (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

(...) Thanks for the feedback on the trail, Derek! That is a long way to walk. On a bike it's not too bad but going a quarter the speed sounds pretty tuff. Did you happen to take any photos? Iain (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

(...) It would be a ruff bike ride too, although there were definitely indications people were biking it. I wouldn't want to. In some places you could fall in a crevis and no one would ever find you again. (...) Yes, I've been trying to figure out (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

(...) Here's a couple of other options: (URL) (non-brick pics run by Brickshelf LLC) ROSCO (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario

(...) I've been using PhotoBucket and have been really happy with it. ( (URL) ) Iain PS - I picked up the "Truck" on Friday on my way back from Detroit. We put it together that night. MINT. MINT MINT MINT. It's so mint, it's pimp. (20 years ago, 3-Aug-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)